WhatsApp call button

Is your home safe from carbon monoxide?

What you need to know about Carbon Monoxide...

It might seem like an odd question if you don’t know what to look for, but make no mistake that carbon monoxide is deadly and sadly claims lives every year. Here’s what you need to know to make sure that your home is safe from carbon monoxide…

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

We all make sure of gas appliances in our homes, from our boilers to our cookers. These appliances need to be maintained correctly by professionals every year. A big reason for this is to make sure that they are working as efficiently as they should , but the bigger and more important reason that this is needed is to make sure that your home is safe from potential gas leaks that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning claims the lives for dozens of people every year. Unfortunately, a big reason for this is that it is hard to detect with your normal senses. It is odourless, colourless and invisible to the naked eye, meaning that you cannot rely on your own body to detect this deadly killer. Thankful, carbon monoxide detectors start from as little as £8 and can keep your home safe and we cannot stress enough how important it is for homeowners to make sure that they have one that is operational in their homes. If you don’t, please get in touch with a local heating engineer.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Low level exposure

The most typical symptom of minor carbon monoxide poisoning is headaches. Dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, disorientation, stomach pains, shortness of breath, and trouble breathing are other mild symptoms of CO poisoning that you can look out for.

Low-level CO exposure may mimic the symptoms of the flu or food poisoning without raising the body temperature. Concentration may become challenging and you may suffer frequent mood swings can also occur when exposed to CO for a long period of time. 

High level exposure

More severe symptoms includes such as drunkenness, vertigo, loss of coordination, breathing problems, palpitations, chest pains, seizures, and unconsciousness. These are caused by inhaling large amounts of CO. In the worst situations, inhaling carbon monoxide at high amounts may cause death within minutes.

What can I do to prevent CO poisoning?

The best way to keep your home safe from the dangerous of carbon monoxide is to make sure that all of your gas appliances are serviced and up-to-date. This means getting in touch with a heating engineer and getting them to get everything checked for you.

co alarm

Many people ask how often this should be done, we recommend that you should have everything check at least once a year. This allows your engineer to make sure that everything is working as it should be which keeps your home safe in the short terms and also allows them an opportunity to keep an eye out for faults which may develop later on down the line keeping you safe in long term.

What else do I need to look out for?

If you think that you have a gas leak, you should turn off the gas supply at the meter, open windows and then call your heating engineer.

If you are experiencing any symptoms such as nausea, light-headedness or the flu that seem to only affect you when you are at home, then that can be an indication that there is carbon monoxide somewhere in your home.

Need to get a CO alarm installed?

As experienced heating enginers in Pulborough, Storrington and Billingshurst, we’ve seen just about everything that can happen when it comes to plumbing, we are always happy to give help and advice to people who need help with their home. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch by calling us on 01903 740538 or  07871 725133.