If you have a conventional boiler system and are wondering whether to opt for a vented or unvented system, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve put together a quick guide explaining the differences between these two heating systems and the best way to determine which is right for your home.
What's the difference between a vented and an unvented system?
Both systems are designed to store and sometimes heat hot water for use on-demand when you need hot water. These systems also both have the option of heating the water directly in the tank or simply storing and maintaining heated water depending on the type of boiler system you have.
Vented hot water systems need a cold water feed which is usually stored in the loft of a home. This cold water tank feeds a hot water cylinder where your hot water will be stored until needed.
An unvented cylinder is connected directly to the mains and does not require a cold water feed.
What is better for your home? (Unvented vs Vented Cylinders)
Now we’ve gone through the similarities and differences with unvented and vented systems, we can now explore the pros and cons of each system and what would be the better choice for your home.
Unvented Cylinder Pros
- No loss in mains water pressure
- Takes up less space than vented systems due to not needing a cold water feed
- No chance of freezing or water contamination
Vented Cylinder Pros
- Coldwater tank acts as access to a backup water supply should the mains fail
- Low maintenance and easy to maintain
- Lower installation cost compared to vented cylinders
Unvented Cylinder Cons
- Requires more maintenance than a vented system
- Can be issued with compatibility with selected mixer and power showers
Vented Cylinder Cons
- Depending on the setup - can provide lower than mains pressure
- Takes up more space and requires a loft for the cold water feed.
What water tank you end up choosing depends entirely on your home and needs. For those looking to save space, an unvented system is a solid option that provides a reliable supply of hot water at mains pressure. A great choice for homes without available loft space provided they are well maintained. Vented systems are excellent choices if you are on a budget and would like to take advantage of the low maintenance requirements and backup cold water tank.
Looking for experienced unvented/ vented cylinder installers in Pulborough, Storrington and Billingshurst
Get in touch with Pipeline Plumbing Ltd for an installation of any kind of hot water cylinder. You can contact Pipeline Plumbing Ltd by calling 01903 740538 or 07871 725133 or contact us through our contact form.